View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #288
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Chathol-linn's post for Harald

Harald watched the big wagons roll out. They did not carry fearsome enemies but hopeful friends. Their common interests were plain. Already he could see Telien consulting with Lotar and Guthwine about a future strengthening of the guard. The lads and lasses of both communities could contribute to the effort, because, as Guthwine had pointed out, sometimes swords were called for.

“I must be sure to reward Andreth and Lilac,” he said to Dantha, who stood nearby.

“Yes,” said she. “Lilac knows whereof she speaks.”

“And Missus Andreth showed her quality above and beyond the suspicions she rightly held,” said Harald. “She may never get over the death of her husband, but she has healed some nevertheless.”

“Speaking of changing and such, the Mayor has grown some too since the first days of autumn,” Dantha said, smiling. “Not to mention Telien. You both take your jobs seriously now.”

“I take more than that seriously,” replied Harald, taking her hand. “I take you seriously, and I have a very serious question to ask you.”

“Harald, is it what I think?” Dantha turned as pink as a rose, and she clasped his hand between her own, and kissed it.

“Perhaps, but first I must tell you something….”

“A confession?” Dantha swallowed hard.

“Well, yes, but it is not my own confession. Ahem, well.” Around them, the rumble of the wagons faded away, and people Big and Little edged away also – a bit.

“Your kindness to Willofain has not gone unnoticed. Remember when you said she reminds you of someone? A few years ago Mum went to our kin in the east – it was before the Troubles started – and she liked it so much, she said, that she stayed the whole year. Turns out, she had…well, in short, I think Willofain is my little sister.”

Dantha said nothing.

Harald dropped to his knee in front of the whole town. “I love you, Dantha, I ask you to be my wife. And I love the little one too. Can we make her a part of the family we shall have?” Then suddenly Harald ran out of breath and he could not have uttered another word for the life of him. He was glad to be already kneeling, for otherwise he would have fainted.

And then it was as if the world was swooning with him, in gladness, for Dantha was saying, “Yes, Harald. Yes to both. Yes my love.”

And around them they heard the applause of all the Breelanders.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-25-2004 at 11:37 AM.