Thread: Gothmog as Pat
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
If you look up I believe I proposed another option, and that's that he gave the name to himself. For a barbarian leader, that wouldn't be unimaginable; and also, look at the parallel with Mouth of Sauron.
A barbarian Man as second in command to the WK? I can't buy it at all, sorry, no more than an orc. The Mouth was a Black Numenorean, probably a pure-blood one. And his name if far less presumptuous than Gothmog, evoking someone without identity, totally subservient to Sauron. "Gothmog" was a name of Sauron's equal.

Quote:
And what about Mouth of Sauron? He was high in rank, and I believe if Gothmog was a Man, he would be probably something like MoS. And it's not unimaginable to see Easterlings and so bowing to him
MOS was high in rank, but surely below the WK and the other nazgul. He was not sent to the Pelennor to serve as WK's second. We have no evidence that he was a warrior. I doubt he was in command at the Black Gate. Sauron saw him as expendable messenger and sent him to the Parley.
By the way, I think Minas Morgul fortress did have someone like MOS - a mortal, probably a Black numenorean, who looked after the fortress when the nazgul were away, who made sure the supplies arrived, orcs didn't sleep on duty and cleared the latrines regularly. But it doesn't make him Second in command to Morgul Lord at Pelennor. Do you really see other nazgul under the command of a mortal? I don't.

Quote:
Huh? May I ask where did you take the assumption that Khand means East? As far as I know from all Elven languages, "east" is Rómen or Rhun, respectively, but Khand, no way.
I never said it was Sindarin or Quenia. But when "Khamul" is mentioned, "The Easterling" or the "Black Easterling" comes as an explanation, likely translation.

Quote:
.. and another thing; the Nazgul did not often lead the armies to war. Except for WK, who was leader also in another fields, there is no remark about the others leading armies.
No remark means little. The WK built the kingdom of Angmar close to the lands of the Dunedain - so his actions were well documented. But we do not know what any of the eight other nazgul did between the Fall of Barad Dur and around TA 1800. We know that after the Fall of Sauron they flew East with the remaining orcs (UT). Who knows what kingdoms they built and what battles they fought there?

Last edited by Gordis; 01-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote