View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #26
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Listen Up

I'm shocked that you would even consider voting off poor Feanor!

The text makes it quite clear that Melkor's primary goal was to ruin Feanor-
Quote:
he sought ever more eagerly how he should destroy Feanor
And a mere elf obviously has no chance of fully resisting Melkor's will. Even the Valar knew it. They told Feanor "none of the Valar canst thou overcome now or ever within the halls of Ea, not though Eru who thou namest had made thee thrice greater than thou art."

How could you possibly blame Feanor for being influenced by the greatest being in all of the world?! Even Hurin the Steadfast saw all things crooked after spending a while in Melkor's presence.

The only difference is, Melian reached out and helped Hurin. Feanor, on the other hand, was not helped, but was actually punished by the Valar! Punished, for being influenced by Ea's most powerful being! There is NO justification for such a punishment.

And why, I ask you, was Melkor free to spread his lies and sow discord in the world?

Because the Valar let him loose amongst the Elves!

The Valar deal proudly and incorrectly far too often! I think that we should definitely get rid of one of them.

I think Manwe in particular should be given the boot.

Tolkien has this to say about Manwe, in HoME X-
Quote:
He (Manwë) has become engrossed (partly out of sheer fear of Melkor, partly out of desire to control him) in amendment, healing, re-ordering-- even "keeping the status quo"- to the loss of all creative power, and even to weakness in dealing with difficult and perilous situations.
Is that the sort of person you want to keep around to perform tasks?

+ + Manwe has to go!