Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 07:06 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Thanks BB, I'll try to come back with some more ideas later, but a note on Boromir.

I think the reason I've always been drawn to Boromir's story is his path follows both the Hero's Fall and the Villain's Redemption. He had the qualities of being a great captain, the front line leadership I would say Tolkien admired ("I was in the company that held the bridge, until it was last cut down behind us." - The Council of Elrond). As opposed to Denethor's leadership, which he might have criticized as a "Chateau General" in WW1. Whether the trashing and criticism the "Chateau Generals" received after the war was deserved or not, is neither here nor there. I just want to point out Tolkien I think admired the front-line leadership, and gives that as a quality to all of his heroes. The old king Theoden says "I will not be taken like an old badger in a trap." Compared to Denethor who sits and waits "even spending the lives of my sons."

Do we get another character who goes down the same path. It follows both the "Hero's Fall" and the "Villain's Redemption?"