Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I can't say one or the other. It all depends on the specific character and situation and how well or explicitly/deeply the event is depicted or characterised. And I guess how important the event is.

I have no emotional attachment to Denethor's end, other than horror at what he attempts to do. I don't much care about Boromir's fall because I read him as an arrogant, proud man full of his own privilege. (wasn't impressed with his contribution to the Council of Elrond.) Even Turin's story to me is more about vanity and arrogance , character flaws, rather than fate, although I'm probably generalising too much about that story.

Frodo's end is excruciating and complicated and painful. So also is Gollem's because of how he nearly atones but Sam misinterprets him. That makes his fall--literally--so appropriate. One does not deserve his fate; the other does.

Perhaps "tragic" involves the idea of undeserved rather than earned?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 04-14-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote