View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 06:29 AM   #13
Mark
Pile O'Bones

Mark has just left Hobbiton.
Very interesting points you have their guys. This chapter, to me personally, was one of my best chapters. I got me thinking in a different perspective.

I really think the incident of the Balrog and Gandalf has blinded us from the rest of the meaningful things in this chapter that should be noted.

Quote:
Gandalf: “Let me see! No, they are too cut and stained; I cannot read them. We might do better in the sunlight. Wait! Here is something: A large bold hand using the Elvish script.”

“That would be Ori’s hand,” said Gimli, looking over the wizard’s arm. “He could write well and speedily, and often used the Elvish characters.”
Oy! Since when does a dwarf want to learn Elvish? :P

The hobbit Sam is in love with the race and is not skilled in the art of their language. I would suppose that Sam wanted to learn, but education reasons held him down, lets not stay still on this point though.

I first thought that Ori used the Elvish characters as a means of attack on the elves, then I though: Why?

It must have been a rare gift, to know Elvish, I guess. Gimli knew it was Ori right away. Perhaps that Ori was the only one to know Elvish among the other dwarves. Perhaps.

Dwarves are beginning to surprise me as much as men were surprised with Hobbits :P

Moving on!

Here is one of my favourite quotes

Quote:
Anduril came down upon his helm. There was a flash like flame and the helm burst asunder. The orc fell with a cloven head.
This really brought me into the realizing of Aragorns power. We have this orc, leader of them all, the one and only. Meh, I’d better just quote the book, again.

Quote:
A huge orc-chieftain, almost man-high, clad in black mail from head to foot, leaped into the chamber. His broad face was swart, his eyes were like coals, and his tongue was red; he wielded a great spear.
That is the correct definition of the orc, I’m afraid. He brought Boromir down, and stabbed Frodo into a wall. Must have been pretty powerful.

But, this orc, this leader, was brought down with one hit. One simple smack over the head had done it.

At first, I never thought that “the blade that was broken” really held that much power. I was proved wrong. A flash like flame, ripping through metal as if it was butter, bursting the helm asunder, digging through the thick skin of the orc leader, very powerful blade.

Then again, a powerful blade must have a person strong enough to handle it. Again, Aragorns power shines on me like the sun on a bright day.

Hail Anduril! Flame of the West!

One more point I would like to point out, and I really apologize for my long post.

Quote:
They went on again. Before long Gimli spoke. He had keen eyes in the dark.
Again, the dwarf surprises me. Although it is obvious that they must have had good sight, for they stayed underground for many a days, mining. It was the first time though, that it was written in stone for my naked eyes to see.

Although I should have expected the elf to see better than the dwarf, my dreams were once again shattered.

That is all I have to say, and again, I apologize for talking too much.
am against the world.
|+|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|+|

Last edited by Mark; 10-15-2004 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Horrible Spelling :=\
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote