View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 2 - Chapter 05 - The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

This is one of the most dramatic chapters in the book. It continues with glimpses of Dwarven culture, beginning with the Book of Mazarbul. Its account of the defeat of the Moria dwarves not only tells of the past events, it builds the tension, foreshadowing the danger to come. The drumbeats that are mentioned throughout much of the chapter also add to the suspense. There is fighting, ending only partially successfully and leading to another glimpse of Gandalf’s true power. Frodo’s mithril shirt proves its worth.

The Balrog is undoubtedly the most important “character” in this chapter, though it speaks not a word and is described in vague terms that still cause much debate and discussion among Tolkien fans. It’s interesting to note that the two members of the Fellowship who stand by Gandalf till the end are the Men – even Legolas the Elf, who has showed his superior abilities in other situations, cannot stand up to the Balrog.

The chapter ends in tragedy, though eight members of the Fellowship escape.

I can remember shock and disbelief as my reaction upon first reading of Gandalf’s death. How did and does this chapter affect you? Why is it so important to the plot?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote