Thread: Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #126
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Its called having a discussion about an aspect of Tolkien's work/thought. That's what we're here for. I state that Tolkien's depiction of war is 'false', & present my reasons for that statement, you then come back & either refute those reasons, or offer support for my position. When we've taken the discussion as far as we can, or reach agreement, or just get bored with it we hope someone will come up with another topic. Some times we adopt a position in a debate which we may not personally agree with 100% ourselves in order to explore the implications of a certain idea & see what comes of it.

What do you want to discuss instead?

Have a look at the Books page & see how many views this topic has garnered so far in comparison to the other discussions.....
Okay, my refutation is that this concern is contrived. Tolkien wrote masterpieces, sold plenty of books, and had an indelible effect on our culture without retroactive input on how war "should" be depicted.

Last edited by Andsigil; 02-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote