View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #33
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

The Mushroom has just left Hobbiton.
Phew! It's hard to fight against your intellect, Saucepan Man! But I do have afew comments.
Quote:
After all, both forms of "magic" are ultimately derived from the same source, namely Eru.
Hmmm... that's true to a certain extent. But, after Melkor fell his powers became simply a corrupt and evil form of the power Eru meant him to have. He marred Arda, brought about orcs and other monsters, and went about killling and destroying. The power that Eru had given him as a Vala was corrupted, becoming more of an opposite to the powers of the other Valar. Melkor is the source of all corruption and any powers that come from him are corrupt (Morgul sorcery, etc.). So, I would say that the immediate source of the power being used (despite the fact that Eru is the ultimate source of everything) is the major difference between the two magics of Middle Earth. Christians accept it because it really doesn't differ much from our way of thinking.
In Harry Potter, no, God is never mentioned by name. But since the story is supposed to take place in our world Christians assume that He would be there. There are also things in the books which imply a Christian religion exists, like the celebration of Christmas. So it could be argued that HP too is set in a monotheistic world, and one that completely disregards God and His commandments.
The witchcraft used in the books fits the bill perfectly of something that would be condemned by God. (a) It does not have its source in God (b) it is given the name of witchcraft, which is clearly condemned in the Bible (c) It is often used to a sinful purpose.
That's the best I can do in regards to why many Christians don't read HP, and how it is different from LOTR. I hope it all made sense.

Fungus
The Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote