View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #21
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am sorry if I offended anybody with my statements about HP. I did say that I did not read the books and that everything which I said was what I had seen/heard. From my own observations, those were the conclusions I had come up with. What I said about the muggles and stuff was the attitude I saw in the first movie and in news reports, etc.

Quote:
Finally, to answer the original question this thread put forth, I also think that a lot of the self-righteous brouhaha sourrinding Harry Potter stems from the fact that the books are specifically targeted at children. Nobody trusts children to formulate their own opinion.
I disagree with that statement. The Chronicles of Narnia are aimed at children and they are widely accepted by Christians (I have yet to hear a Christian not like them).

Finwe hit it on the head: black magic and witchcraft to the Christian are evil. So why would they accept a book that might support that idea? I am not saying that HP has witchcraft in it, because I honestly don't know. But that Christian view would explain why some are leery in reading/accepting magical books.

Tolkien, clearly, does not have black magic in it and that is why Christians (well, most Christians) accept them.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote