View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
Alexus Varus
Pile O'Bones

Alexus Varus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

(I have nothing against any religion of any kind, i just thought id say this now so i dont get flamed. Anything that has a positive belief for the 'bettering' of human lives is cool)

I suppose it's becuase LOTR is more Aloof than Harry Potter. And I too thought it was strange that the more heavily religious people dont mind reading LOTR, one of my best friends is deeply religious and yet she loved LOTR but when i mention HP she starts telling us how it is bad.

I have come to this conclusion; Lotr is seen as different becuase it is not set in the "here and now" but rather in a different place and time, where Harry Potter is set in out contempary world and seen as more a threat to the minds of the young in 'corrupting' them so to speak. LOTR is able to get away with it becuase it was set in the third age (going into 4th) and if it were now it would have been long over.

Besides, am i making this up or i seem to remember one of my other poeple at school when debating the bible in English Literature, said that revealations had magic and dragons and stuff in it? Am i making that up? I cant rightly remember.

But also, it may not just be christian, is there an Islamic point of view? After all the Koran and the Bilble are somewhat similar in their messages for humanity.