View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I may be thinking of non-canonical references here, but I seem to recall that elves aren't affected by the elements like the other races are(?).

So, this quote from The Silmarillion: Of the Flight of the Noldor:
"Therefore Feanor halted and the Noldor debated what course they should now take. But they began to suffer anguish from the cold, and the clinging mists through which no gleam of star could pierce; and many repented of the road and began to murmur, especially those that followed Fingolfin, cursing Feanor, and naming him as the cause of all the woes of the Eldar."
tells me that either the elves were affected by the elements, or that the level of cold in Helcaraxë goes up to 11.

Any thoughts?
Elves do seem to have more resistance to cold– c.f. Legolas wearing only “light shoes” on Caradhras; I believe that's what started the “fanon” idea that they don’t feel cold at all, under any circumstances– which is certainly not the case, as you’ve just demonstrated.

Mind you, fanon tends to attribute all kinds of random special powers and Mary-Sue-Race traits to Tolkien’s Elves anyway, so maybe it’s just another example of that.