View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
I'll agree with the actor looking too old, though. I could understand casting an older actor if the role was going to be difficult and the lines would sound incongruous coming out of the mouth of an apparently callow youth, but near as I can tell, they never intended for Gil-galad to say anything.
Well, there must have been some younger actors out there who didn't look quite as bland as Orlando Bloom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrin
The costume designers did find a nice way of incorporating a version of Tolkien's own rendering of Gil-galad's sigil, without making it look like medieval heraldic arms.
Agreed, that was well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrin
And did you manage to type my name without needing to go into an outside program, or otherwise do a copy and paste?
I did (as a matter of pride)! And I think I've listened to that medley of yours (as indeed to most of the music on your website, by now), but I've got to go back to it one of these days and hear what you did with that particular song. Anyway, you've got yourself a new fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
In the book Elves, & the past generally, have a kind of romantic aura about them - the battles may have been terrible, many may have been slain, but there is never a sense that the Elves ever got their armour tarnished, or their tunics grubby.... They are always surrounded by a kind of ethereal 'glow'.
Exactly. That's one of the things PJ just didn't understand - that Elves (as I don't know who said so very rightly on I don't know which thread, but it was something to do with Tolkien illustrations) 'aren't just sexy people with pointed ears'. Where, in all of the movie trilogy, is that shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, which seemed to fall about their feet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
One of the biggest mistakes Jackson made was to show those events, rather than merely referring to them as happens in the book. Our place is with the folk who live at the end of the Third Age, looking back to the terrible & glorious, but long distant, past - we should not be 'present' at those events.
And that's one of the (many) things Ralph Bakshi did right when he decided to film his historical prologue in silhouettes rather than full animation like the rest of the story. Maybe, if PJ had to show those events at all, he could have done better by using black and white and a blurred lens, or something of the like... but that wouldn't have been as spectacular, I suppose .