View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Inevitable nitpicking: are these the shining armour that could be seen from afar, and the shield that mirrored the countless stars of heaven's field? Both could do with some polishing (nice design, though).
Well, everybody was looking pretty grubby by that point. Maybe the shield, like everyone on the field of battle, needed a bath.

I'll agree with the actor looking too old, though. I could understand casting an older actor if the role was going to be difficult and the lines would sound incongruous coming out of the mouth of an apparently callow youth, but near as I can tell, they never intended for Gil-galad to say anything. Or if they did, it wasn't going to be much. Perhaps, amid the myriad other peculiar notions Jackson and Co. got from what they read of the books, they had the notion that all dark-haired male Elves must look craggy. The costume designers did find a nice way of incorporating a version of Tolkien's own rendering of Gil-galad's sigil, without making it look like medieval heraldic arms.

I have my own notion of what the tune to the Gil-galad song must've sounded like; it came into my head during a reading of the books while I was in college, closing in on 40 years ago, and got incorporated into a medley I wrote for a composition class a few years later. I always thought that the tune could not have been too difficult or "pompous," since Sam is the one who remembers and sings it, but then, since he learned it from Bilbo, it's possible that what Sam sang was Bilbo's tune, not the Elves'. I think the medley is somewhere amid the MIDI tunes on my website, but heaven knows what it sounds like on other peoples' computers.

And did you manage to type my name without needing to go into an outside program, or otherwise do a copy and paste?