View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #45
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The journeys of Arwen between Rivendell and Lorien would have undoubtedly been of some risk given the routes available and what had happened to her own mother on one of these routes. I don't doubt Elrond would have sought to keep them to a minimum - aside from Arwen being a much loved daughter, she would provide a powerful 'prize' for any miscreants who caught her. You'd imagine they would be carried out with all measures of security and secrecy that could be mustered.

So, there may well have been peril and there were ways of limiting the risk. But even so, just the fact of her having done some travelling does not make her an 'adventurer'. I'd rather hope to think that the wisdom she had gained through her years in Rivendell and Lorien was from observing the counsels of her father and grandparents, learning about the troubles in Middle-earth, and the history. Maybe this is part of what she saw in Aragorn? Knowing about his heritage?

Now as for the Elves and their Art, I think that it was during the Third Age in particular that they entered a static state. This was after the misadventures with forging the Rings of Power, and after the Last Alliance. It was far too risky to attempt anything on the scale of the Rings again, and the Elves had to retrench and secure their borders. They became isolated and insular - you could say their brilliance faded. Art to the Elves in the Third Age would be centred around perfecting what they already had, not creating new and potentially dangerous concepts.

There's also something essentially different about the creative impulses of Men and Elves. The former are mortal and one of the major impulses for them was to seek immortality in some way, either through deeds, arts or even literally. Men would ahve a drive to do these things knowing their time was limited. Elves on the other hand did not have this impetus. I think their focus was more on preserving the world around them in Middle-earth, which was alien to their nature, which also decayed like Men do.