View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
monks
Animated Skeleton

monks is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Threads of this ilk are to me another reminder (if any was required) of the wisdom of Gandalf:
Oh that little chestnut. Ha. Tolkien explicitly set riddles (Bombadil) and anagrams- Adam Roberts Acrostic...Priya's anagrams...etc..Seven Rivers anyone?...so how are we supposed to solve them then? By using the Force? lol

Tolkien was dying to tell Kilby...because he was so damn PROUD of what he'd achieved. Tolkien knew he was the "Great Master"- see my reply above. The sexual content possibly held him back...and I think he just wanted to carry on being the only one 'in the know' and let the riddle stand. However having said that, from Kilby's words, I think he may well have told Kilby something after all...or Kilby suspected what it might have involved. He was with him, we weren't - many of the details are lost to us. If he did, Kilby must have made an NDA. See my essay Tolkien's Contrasistency http://www.thewindrose.net/blogs/tol...ontrasistency/

It also feeds into his opinion on Shakespeare too. He believed that he was better than Shakespeare- his inspirations were Dante and Plato. I believe he had a grudging respect of Shakespeare too though. That's where am I at the moment regards Tolkien and Shakespeare.

monks

Last edited by monks; 07-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.
monks is offline   Reply With Quote