View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monks View Post
To date I've made 29 predictions specifically surrounding this theme. Here's one of them.

Prediction #71
That Tolkien would refer to Shelob as ‘loathly’ or 'loathsome’.
You predicted that before Tolkien wrote the books? Well done! I have to wonder, though, how old you are....

Quote:
“Hardly had Sam hidden the light of the star-glass when she came. A little way ahead and to his left he saw suddenly, issuing from a black hole of shadow under the cliff, the most loathly shape that he had ever beheld, horrible beyond the horror of an evil dream. Most like a spider she was, but huger than the great hunting beasts, and more terrible than they because of the evil purpose in her remorseless eyes.” [TLotR, Book IV, Chapter 9 Shelob’s Lair]

As you can see Tolkien went all the way and actually used the word ‘loathly’.
I haven't read LOTR in a shamefully long time, but I don't recall ever keying in on the use of that word, in place of what I would expect, loathsome.
I actually wouldn't know the definition. Just more evidence that Tolkien can still surprise after all this time.

Quote:
...according to the forum.. apparently I'm "Newly Deceased"...:-D
Due to your post count, not the time elapsed since you joined.