View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 03:59 AM   #9
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
In RL, can anyone think of a populated region in Europe that ever enjoyed four-plus centuries of uninterrupted peace?
First off, this is an excellent point; sometimes I forget how short human generations actually are!

Secondly: Peace, or freedom from invasion? I know they call it the Watchful Peace, but I suspect Gondor still squabbled with Umbar, so Ithilien soldiers would still have gone off to war. For that matter, they were probably still in border skirmishes in South Gondor - and with Mordor still orc-infested, I can't imagine there weren't raiding parties bopping around.

For Europe, though: Wales springs to mind. I don't know whether there was any action there during the English Civil Wars, but I don't think anything happened after that until... oh, WWI zeppelin bombings, maybe? That's... wait, no, that's actually only 250 years. Hmm. Apparently I'm losing track of how long centuries are, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
In RL, would a dynasty last as long as Aragorn's *and* return to more or less Emperor status after centuries as wandering chieftains?
Okay, now I want to know what the longest a real dynasty was 'out of power' for was... the question that springs to mind is whether Augustus (or any other Roman Emperor) claimed descent from Romulus (or indeed any of the other kings). That would be a very analogous situation, given that the Republic lasted some 500 years.

Alternately: the Solominic Dynasty of Ethiopia is held to have actually begun around 900 CE, but claimed its authority from the Biblical King Solomon, ca. 900 BCE. That's a nearly 2000 year gap, and involves a priestly lineage very similar to Aragorn's.

The main difference is that nobody really believes it, whereas Gondor seems to uncritically accept Aragorn's claim. I suppose when you have a bunch of immortals wandering around who can vouch for his entire family tree, this sort of thing gets a bit easier...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote