View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #147
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
But, and grave 'but' at that, where Mr.Pullman crosses the line and, in my opinion, deserves davem's ire (mine too), is aggresive and mean attacks he lets himself sink to.
You may have a point as far as Moorcock is concerned, but I think that you are rather over-stating the case with regard to Pullman. Would you bat an eyelid if he said the same things about a writer for whom your own feelings were neutral?

Quote:
Mentor's tone does not help either, and even so his attacks would have been acceptable in proper place, say, in literary discussion on a forum like BD here - let him state his points and let us state ours, that would at least be honest. But lo - he attacks Tolkien from pulpits and places where he's the sole preacher.
Quite right! Let's ban all literary lectures where the lecturer dares to criticise another work ...

Quote:
Imagine some writer (famous enogh, that is) saying things about Pullman Pullman himself says about Tolkien, but evading direct dialogue with Pullman on the subject.
I hardly think that Pullman evades direct dialogue on the subject of Tolkien's works. Of course, it is rather difficult for him to engage in dialogue with Tolkien himself, but I have no doubt that his public comments provoke comment from "outraged" Tolkien fans (as Jonathan Hari found out). As davem suggests, you could engage with him yourself by using the link above. You never know, he might even reply to a sensibly and courteously argued critique of his statements.