View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #31
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
re "Dunedain that should be good behaving like orcs..." and Alatar's point on 'Good and Evil'

I really don't think Tolkien's world is that 'black and white' (to coin a phrase).

Why should all men descendant of Numenor (ie the Dunedain) be 'good'. If that was so then Isildur would have thrown the Ring into the Fire and we wouldn't have all this trouble in the first place.....!
Maybe I should have left the "who should be good"-part out. Of course, none of them is entirely good. What I meant is that pounding a poor, wretched creature like Gollum the way they did for whatever reason is a particularly orcish act. Dunedain simply should not act like that - Faramir, even movie-Faramir, the least.

Quote:
PS Faramir's men were, let's be honest, practicing standard interrogation techniques with Gollum! We might not like it, but it is what goes on. They're being atttacked from all sides from the forces of 'Evil' as we call them, so sometimes we might understand (but not agree with) their tactics in the cold light of War......
Standard interrogation techniques? I agree that torture, and we're talking about torture here, can be applied in interrogation when lives are immediately at risk. But not only is this not the case here, but the interrogation hasn't even started when Gollum was beat up. And if it is standard, then why are Frodo and Sam not interrogated standardly?
In the given situation I neither understand nor agree.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote