View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #25
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
The films can be appreciated in most aspects for their graphics, film production & cast, but some scenes fell woefully short of being at least acceptable in every sense of the word, & I see no reason why PJ & Co. should not be challenged on them, given that they were supposedly using the works of the greatest fictional novel of all time by the author of the century, & hoping to sell it to the same people who adored these works.
But by whose standard? Long time book fans? Cinema fans? General public? He obviously pleased enough fans to gross as much as the film did in ticket sales and DVD sales not to mention the merchandise that went along with it. Let's not forget the mass amounts of people that ended up reading the book because of the film.

The problem here is that PJ deserves artistic license in that he can mold the work to make it his own. It is based on the book but is not the book itself. So on what basis is it being judged? Overall I think PJ did a great job and should be praised for his work, I appreciate him undertaking such a massive project. Not everything is done the way I would have wanted to see it but it simply demonstrates that we all see things a bit differently.

Quote:
I think you may have deceived yourself here. Are you serious in suggesting that the scene where Gimli is sitting on a dead orc after the battle closely matches the scene where Aragorn beheads the Mouth of Sauron??
I'm thinking that the premise is close enough to see that you have a double standard on the issue. You think it's okay for Aragorn to callously and cold bloodedly murder a messanger but not okay for Gimli to sit upon an orc who he killed.