View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #34
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
The idea of getting the rights taken away seems to be something that does not pass the smell test. It seems like a convenient excuse just to stop something they never liked in the first place - (Middle-earth movies which supplant the books in the minds of hundreds of millions of people) - but were powerless to change since JRRT himself sold those rights.

Can you cite a precedent where claims such as these were honored in a court of law and rights were stripped?
Thousands, if I could be bothered. Courts set aside contracts every day when there is material breach in bad faith. Don't make your car payments? Here comes the repo man.

The formula I cite (as I can glean it from the Complaint, which does not have the contract attached) provides for 7.5% of the gross. Nothing gets paid unless and until the gross reaches 260% of production costs, but when that threshhold is crossed the 7.5% is based on the whole kit and caboodle.

It is *not* subject to deductions for distribution, marketing, etc etc etc.