View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post

AHHHH!!!!! So thats is then. The Estate does not want two more movies taking away all the attention that they themselves want for the books. The attention they tried to grab by agreeing to publish the CHILDREN OF HURIN as a "new book" in an obvious fraud.

If the Estate deserves money, fine.... they are entitled to it and I hope they get it. If this is just some legal ruse to abort rights that JRRT already sold and now the Estate regrets, forget them.
Carefully avoiding the side argument....as I pointed out, they are not (CAN NOT) seeking to prevent a movie of TH or a possible sequel/sequels being made. They are attempting to prevent New Line Cinema making any further Tolkien movies - from the sound of it on the grounds that they haven't received the profits they are due from the LotR movies & probably wouldn't receive any profits from further movies - ie that New Line are abusing their rights & so should have those rights taken away from them.

None of this would prevent a Hobbit movie being made by someone else. I was just being a bit provocative with the thread title

EDIT Latest on the One Ring site seems to imply that New Line may be slapped down hard by Time Warner & reduced to making cheap 'n' nasty junk while leaving the blockbusters to Warner Brothers.

Last edited by davem; 02-12-2008 at 01:06 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote