View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 10:48 AM   #37
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You are right that, as an actress, she lacks the depth to portray a 3000 year old Elf. But for me, that is true for most of the "Elvish" actors in the films.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think you have hit upon an inevitable flaw here, <B>Saucepan Man</B>. Just how does one play a worldly, yet otherworldly being of an Elder race? I, personally, think Cate Blanchett did rather well in her portrayal of Galadriel, and that Weaving's Elrond seemed a bit too grumpy to me. In fact, it seems that the interplay between Elrond and Arwen in TTT suggests less that Liv's Arwen is immature than that Weaving's Elrond knows where to poke her to get her to do what he wishes her to do. Her abundance of tears would seem to point to the unique ability of parents to needle the proper place in their children, even when nothing or no one else can faze them. Elrond simply knows where to poke his daughter to get her to listen to him. I thought Elrond to be grumpy and a little bit jealous in these scenes. Surely Arwen must have known what would be her destiny should she choose a mortal life with Aragorn; but the way Elrond tells it makes her despair and follow his wishes. <P>As for being thousands of years old, I found it interesting that the Elves had an amazing capacity for immaturity, even at their great ages, as illustrated by the endless strife between them in the Silmarillion. Beren had a point when he upbraided King Thingol for his petty wish to have a Silmaril in exchange for his daughter's hand! <P>Perhaps they mature more slowly in mind and body, as would befit a race that lives for many, many years. I would think Arwen to be the least jaded and worldly of the Elder race, simply because she is their Evenstar, a younger, more freethinking being who does not seem to hold all the history of the Elves in Middle Earth in her heart, but can make the choice to be a fleeting part and seed of the future (through her contribution to the line of Elessar), rather than a relic of the Third Age to be lost with its passing. <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote