View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 01:59 PM   #70
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

One foot back...half twist...step forward...hold her ...

The dance kept going and the Princess was as light as a feather in his arms. The dance floor moved as one, swaying and weaving. His inconceivable intake of alcohol somehow forgotten, Stephanos threw himself into the dance.

Yet a foul stench assaulted his nostrils. He slowed and stopped. The mighty yet decrepit Barrow-Wight stood before him.

Stephanos mustered his legendary wit and mighty lexicon. "Yo!" he said quietly.

He watched the scene between Wight and Princess and then saw Barrow-Wight stalk off towards the keg, trampling an innocent halfling beneath one centuries-aged boot. He saw the Princess staring after the Wight.

Realising he was free to depart the dance-floor, he effected his egress until the edge of the party he had reached. Yoda, you just sounded like. He studied the lithe figures. He wanted something more than dancers. Something more than a sulk of teenagers, a cartel of Caradhas. He wished for an 'obfuscation of philosophers' to whittle down the night with.

He scanned the party intently. Ahh, he saw his favouite friend. A tall elegant green bottle. Incandescant light streamed through its delicate glass, illuminating the patch of linen tablecloth in front of it. He took one faltering step toward the Green Fairy.

He espied friends fair and new entering. Oh to disappear completely or be drawn to friendship? As usual, confusion reigned arrogantly in Stephanos' addled mind.

"Call me Rimbaud," he declared and fell headlong into the bottle, his cares washed away.

*thwap*

"Wake youself!" exclaimed an old friend. "You do not set a good example."

Realising the error of his ways for the shortest of moments, Stephanos straightened. Facing the Wight by the keg and thus the myriad guests in the centre circle, he raised his voice:

"Happy Birthday Barrow-Downs!!!!!!!!"

"Thanks Zif!" he exhaled softly. "Just when I was in danger of losing my dignity."

"You?" said Zifnab, straight-faced. "Never."

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: Stephanos ]