View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #39
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanorsdoom
Davem, I understand your belief in the importance of keeping Tolkien's work distinct from that which might be done in his name; no one here wants to see Disney's The Hobbit II. But Tolkien's world is very much like the historical Egypt before modern archaeology. There are minds every bit as creative and subtle as the Master's, however you may idolize him, and some of those minds will not be content to let the beauty of Middle-earth languish in dusty volumes. Arda began as a thought in one man's head and that man is gone, but Arda is not. The Silmarils are still waiting to be found, and some day, they will be.
No they won't. Never. Some hack may make up a story about how they were found. And some hack may make up a story about how Turin & Nienor didn't really die, that it was all a trick to escape Morgoth's curse. Any mind as creative as Tolkien's will do its own thing, not flog stolen goods. Arda is Tolkien & Tolkien is gone. All the rest is lies & fakery. Sorry, I know you want it to be true that there is some genius waiting in the wings to take over, but reality isn't like that. The universe throws up geniuses every now & then. They blaze & pass.

This desire to have reams of fake Tolkien to read when there are so many works by other artists out there baffles me.

There isn't any more genuine stuff. Anything else will be fake.

I can't fathom why this is so difficult to understand. I know you wish there was more stuff. I understand the regret. But wanting more doesn't work like a magic spell to make more appear. Life isn't like that.

That's actually what LotR is saying - things come to an end. They stop, & there isn't any more. The Elves have gone. Sorry, but that's life.

Last edited by davem; 06-05-2007 at 12:20 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote