View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 07:21 AM   #20
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The specific series of texts left by Tolkien (in which can be seen the conscious development of a Legendarium) is quite unlike anything that might have naturally developed through the various translations, transcriptions, and retellings of the people of Middle-earth.
I agree that this is literally true, however as we are dealing with multiple levels of fiction, and as 'development' of history, language of M-E [as far as our project is concerned] etc has [almost] reached an end point, I believe the use of chaotic and unfinished texts and notes can represent a continuation of the fiction begun by JRRT.

What else could they be from the point of view within the Legendarium?

From within the Legendarium, piles of contradictory and 'developing' texts can only be seen as other peoples's versions of 'true history' or as garbled rescensions of true lines of translation and transmission.

So for the moment, I see no gerater leeway being taken by using a 'textual lacunae' scenario for Rog's name than turning mechanical dragons into something else, or one type of dragon into something else, or having a company and Rog slay one balrog instead of a score.

In one sense my proposal is at least grounded in the physical reality of the textual dissaray.

but as you aptly said, 'I am not likely to convince... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

lindil out
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote