View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why did Jackson shy away from crying? Maybe because in a movie, that's harder to do. . .I mean, when he doesn't develope the characters just like Tolkien did, and when he's screwed the story some, p'raps it was harder to do the crying. And then there was the time squeeze. . .but that was because of added stuff they did.

Should he have? No. I think he shouldn't have changed anything, but many people do. I won't complain, though. There were things that happened that made this fault passable. However, there are also things that really disapointed me when he did shy away from it. Like when Frodo was 'killed' by Shelob. . .that part in the book is one of my favorite parts, and it's also the part where I cry the second most (Grey Havens ranking the first). . .and yet in the movie, he gives him about twenty seconds to mourn.

Theoden and Eowyn's death, too. In the EE he made up, a bit, with Eomer finding her. That part was heart wrenching and wonderfully done, but. . .like you said, they went on too fast.

And as for you comment about no sadness/crying in TTT, I have to say that there really isn't all that much in the books, either. The parts that are sad, PJ put in theo ther two movies (Boromir's death and The Choices of Master Samwise). There are a few parts in the book that make me tear up, but not many, and none that are easily put on film.

Just my thoughts. . .

-- Folwren