View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #235
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child relayed the message to the people on board the ship. Most began to go to the starboard railing in preparation to secure the grappling hooks. All that is, except Rose, Bird, and Pio.

They stood looking at each other with eyebrows raised in question at the activity. Bird put two fingers to her lips and whistled loudly, everyone on the ship turned to look at her. She waved her hand to Pio, as if to invite her to speak, and Pio stepped up onto a keg top.

'We have just been through a terrifying time and fought hard to defeat the specter Maeglin. We are more than grateful that Mithadan and his crew have come to join in the battle against the Blue Wizards. But to us should go the spoils of this particular battle . . . namely, this ship and all her cargo. Now I have looked this craft over fairly thoroughly (Yes, I'll bet you did!smirked Bird), and I do not believe it was built by evil hands. It is an elven craft put to evil uses. I believe we can pilot it if you're willing, and fight alongside Mithadan and his crew. What say you? I know I am willing to abide by the group decision.'

'A veritable flotilla of two!' said Bird, once Pio had stepped down. 'Against those odds, the evildoers must be quaking in their blue boots!'

'O Pio, can I steer the ship some times?', asked Rose, her eyes shining.

'Of course, you can! We'll put you on one of these (she lifts Rose up to stand on the keg top) and you will commandeer the Wheel!'

The group on board gathered together and began to discuss Pio's proposal. The conversation rose and fell as points were debated and precedents discussed.

Mithadan stood on the deck of the catamaran which was staying alongside the ship. He flipped open his cell phone cover and pushed #1 on his speed-dial. On the ship, the phone in Child's pocket vibrated insistently against her leg.

Pio, Bird, and Rose sat down wearily on the deck while the others talked. Pio leaned against her pack, and started to clean her blade, inspecting it for any nicks. She saw Rose glumly looking at the hilt of her own little sword, the blade of which had disintegrated after dealing a fatal blow to Maeglin.

'Rose,' said Pio, reaching into her pack. I'd like you to have something which has been mine from childhood.' She brought out a slender, oblong object about 18" long, wrapped in soft leather. This was my first sword, given to me by my father's sister, my dear aunt. It was the blade she first used as a child.'

She laid the packet in Rose's hands and unwrapped it. It was of Elven silver, worked with an intricate design of stars flowing down the blade. In the pommel was set a clear, white, evershining jewel blazing with an inner fire. Rose's eyes widened in delight, and her mouth formed a little O! of wonder as she gripped the sword and brandished it.

'It is called Elemmėrë, Star Jewel, and was made for Elwing.'

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]