View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 04:32 AM   #149
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Last Post for the Game

Bali watched as Haenir slowly stepped towards the woman, arms outstretched. She seemed frightened, but the sight of the glowing object he held out was far too important to run from. When he stopped, just paces from her position, the Rhûnian darted out, grabbed the ball, and hurried back into the forest -- but then stopped. She turned, looking the dwarves over again, a smile covering her features. And then she was gone.

"Well, Haenir, two noble deeds in one day." The dwarf looked up at his leader, surprised.

"Aiy? I followed your brother to save you, and gave away the only treasure we found on this ill-turned journey. What is noble about that, aye?"

Bali smiled. He looked out over the plains, visible from the plateau, and saw a sparkling light moving quickly towards the canyon. "You, my friend, have just made a peaceful agreement with the enemy that sought to eat us all alive. And that... is noble indeed."

"Now then, with our conciences cleared up, let us go home -- before we lose our food as well as our treasure!" Shouted Gortek. And, chuckling heartily, the party took one last look at the land of Rhûn before leaving it and its people behind forever.

Epliogue

It was noon, or about it. The sun shined brightly over the cobbled road as a small company reached the gates of Erebor. Everything, save the beautiful voices of several birds, was quiet. The group stood in front of the heavy stone doors, each with private thoughts and memories of the journey. "What will they think of us," muttered Durin. "I promised my mother a big bag of treasure, and all I have is a bloody weapon and a sack with no food in it."

"Just be lucky that you have a sack," returned Nerin, and the entire company laughed.

And so, turning, they knocked on the gates of the city. Suddenly, they were thrown inward, and a large procession greated them. Dain Hammerhead, Durin's father, hurried out and clasped Bali's hand. "How are ye, lad? I so wish I could have gone on this journey with you, but I had other matters. What happened? Did you find any treasure?"

Once again, silence hung in the air. How could one begin to describe what they had been through, seen, and conquered? Then Bali said, putting a hand on Dwalin's shoulder, "Well, we had a wee bit of trouble with the map."

Last edited by Himaran; 06-29-2004 at 04:51 AM.