View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #608
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Jims flung a somewhat hurried reply to Songo’s inquiry over his shoulder as he followed after the elf. “We’re going to find my horse.” Hopefully, Jims added silently to himself.

Elf, man and hobbit entered the stable in quick succession, Gwathagor kneeling briefly to examine the paw print. Jims stood aside, casting a brief glance at Songo. The little hobbit’s eyes were the size of saucers as he too looked at the huge print.

Just as Gwathagor stood, the innkeeper poked his head around the table door. His face looked a mix of curiosity and concern. In an attempt to break the tension of the moment, Jims quipped “Perhaps your stable lad has tired of the fine ale here and borrowed my horse to try his luck at some other tavern. I’m surprised he didn’t invite you to join him, Songo. You’ve acquired a taste for it, I’ve noticed.” He winked at the hobbit whose gaze swiveled uncertainly up to his own.

Noting the somber look on the elf’s face, Jims asked lightly, “Well, Gwathagor. What do you make of this? Have your wolves return and asked my nag out to supper? Shall we follow and join the party?”

Jims unconsciously fiddled with the strap to his staff as he awaited Gwathagor’s response.