View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #78
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Suddenly it seemed everyone was leaving the inn in various small groups, rather than the two even groups as planned. And as Lea had pointed out, somehow one of the groups consisted only of non-native Breelanders. Toby felt a complete failure at that moment, and he spent a moment or two sighing before he collected himself again, prepared to get down to business and get people organized again. At least those still at the inn.

But when he glanced around the dim, lonely common room, he found that the only person left beside himself was Parkun, the innkeeper’s boy. He looked as if he had dozed off, but as soon as Toby said his name the boy’s eyes were upon him. The hobbit went through faces and names for a moment before asking, “Which group did Madoc and Robby go with?”

“Their own groups, as far as I could tell,” Parkun replied blandly. “Madoc left when the first group made their exit, out the back, and Robby did the same just before Ash, Lea, and Grimbeorn did with their charge. Also out the back.”

Toby did some more sighing and running his hand through his hair before declaring with more confidence in his decision than he felt, “Well, if no one is quite sure where anyone but themselves are anymore, I seen more sense in trying to get the group back together than going with the original plan. There’s nothing left to do but meet up with the others at Master Cengal’s farm. We’ll have to assume they’ll find their way, or Ash and Lea will find them for us. And even if they don’t, someone needs to accomplish something this afternoon.”

“I know a shortcut,” Parkun said, rising from his seat. Toby gave him an inquisitive look, but nonetheless gestured to say that the boy could lead the way out the door.