View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Theo, I am your father

*(Like Blind Guardian, I've seen Episode 3 by now, but I'll try to keep this as spoiler-free as I can.)*

I think we're clearly supposed to assume that Theo is Arondir's son (skin tone, hair covering his ears) and not so much left the family as never lived with them in the first place. It's less clear whether Arondir is aware of this - has Bronwen told him? I don't think she's told Theo, but he may guess in due time, if he hasn't yet, and bear a grudge against his parents which may facilitate his way into becoming a Nazgûl (which I agree seems highly likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
My ultimate prediction for their tragic family fate is that eventually, with broken heart, the kind healer mother kills her son, but he rises back as undead. And if he happens to be WK himself, you could somehow, after his un-death, connect it to the future Witch-King prophecy about being killed "not by a man".
Except the Nazgûl became undead by fading from life, not by rising from death, but of course the latter is much easier to present with cinematic effect than the former.

Halbrand I think is something, or someone, else. As of ep. 3 he seems set up for a Viggorn-like career, which would be dreadfully unimaginative and copy-cattish, so I hope the makers have something different in mind. I think he'll ally himself with Galadriel for a while but betray her in the end and either become another Nazgûl or, like Legate suggests, the King of the Dead (which would indeed be awesome).

I don't think he's actually Sauron himself. For one thing, he's been doing a rather inefficient job at ingratiating himself with the Númenóreans; for another I seriously hope they won't dismantle the original timeline as much as bringing Sauron into Númenor as a castaway before he has a chance to do his work on Celebrimbor and start the whole ring-making business. Also it seems like we'll get a first glimpse of Sauron veeery soon if we haven't already, and unless he has the power of bilocation he can't be Halbrand.

Or actually I hope I'm wrong and they won't show us Sauron himself, or at least not too clearly, until we meet him as Annatar; the audience should find out who he really is along with the characters, not before them. (I mean we know, of course, but we're not exactly the target audience the makers had in mind, are we?)