View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #29
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Went in with an open mind and a closed mouth. Whatever appeared on scene is what it is, regardless of what might be in my head or in a book.

Watched the first 2 episodes with my favorite non-book fan (my wife), and despite much temptation, resisted commenting on/clarifying anything onscreen that 'wasn't in the books.'

Some observations:
  • When S1E1 starts, I see and hear Hermione Granger. Actually thought that the other children were humans.
  • Nice to see Galadriel using her wit (and some elvish magic, as you people call it), when making the swan boat. Hope that this character characteristic shows up again.
  • Those other kids were just mean. Did the Valar have the chained Morgoth supervising daycare?
  • Finrod already had a dagger in Valinor. Those words for death were about to be spoken.
  • The thing about the ice climb thing is that, how did the fortress get supplies? Did the orcs fly up the wall? Or were the elves just being stealthy entering through the back way?
  • A snow troll? Will we see beach trolls (they're pretty laid back, but might spill your drink when they walk past with their surf boards...dude!)
  • I wished that they'd lingered longer on the 'Sauron symbol' on that rock/alter/forge. Here Amazon could have shown us that same Galadriel wit and magic that 'sees a little deeper.' And then she could have killed the troll.
  • Seemingly moments after declaring 'the war's over,' the High King realizes that it's not. Are the writers just being lazy, as it's obvious that the war isn't, so that makes the HK (and everyone listening to them) look stupid.
  • The 'elves on a boat' scene was creepy. Did they all have to stand 6 feet apart? It looked more like a punishment. You get to go to paradise and it looks more like the 'renew' scene from Logan's Run. Are the other elves like airline stewards? "We'll be arriving at Valinor in a few moments, so please stow your tray table and look about the cabin for any loose items...especially daggers.
  • And that dagger has seen some stuff! From Valinor to ME and almost back again? Heck, would not be surprised if Turin gets to use it in Dagor Dagorath.
  • Swim, Galadriel, swim! You built a swan boat from paper. If only the writers permitted you to be smart and clever again.
  • Wasn't sure what was going on on the shipwreck scene. Guess everyone died.
  • Please, writers, don't pretend that Galadriel's ever in mortal peril. I've see the other movies.
  • So the shipwreck savior guy watches the rope being pulled into the water, the same rope that's pulling Galadriel down (not worried that she's going to drown - see above). Wouldn't it have been smarter for shipwreck guy to secure the rope before going into the water to rescue Galadriel? That same weight (or sea dragon) could pull him down as well.
  • Would like to see how many people's DNA is on that dagger handle, as now shipwreck guy uses it.
  • In other parts of ME, didn't the watch tower elves ever reach out to their 'cousins' and teach them the art of making soap?
  • Or maybe they did, and the villagers are using 'goat's milk,' from, you know, goats that grazed out east...
  • Please don't make that sword thing that the well dressed elf courting woman's son's playing with be possessed. We already did the One Ring thing in a different movie. And hopefully Dragon Sickness is strictly a dwarven thing (which hopefully we'll see the Golden Dwarf being built in the background).
  • Nice to see Khazad-dum with the lights on.
  • What door did they enter? And why is there never any worn foot paths to these doors. Dwarves don't travel light.
  • Would have been nice to see Elrond not use his strength to break rocks. When he set his hammer down, I actually thought that he was going to some 'magic,' but nope.
  • Was surprised to see 'Starman' show up. If it's Gandalf, I'll hate it. If it's Annatar, I will never think of him as scary again, having seen him eat *snails* dished up by a cute hobbit (who also holds him at bay).
  • Please don't be Gandalf.

Last edited by alatar; 09-05-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: not clams
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote