View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #65
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Maika,

Speaking as someone who read the entire game last week for the first time in three concentrated sittings, I don't think you have to worry about Dryea's cover. My overall impression was that Dryea and Reuil were enormously successful in making people believe the rumors they had encouraged.

The extent of their success and the fact that so few challenged the ideas was actually surprising. If Finduilas had been aware of what was going on, I tend to think she would have turned to Denethor or Eckthelion for help in butressing her position at court. The Steward's family would have carefully scrutinized the family's roots and standing before negotiating a marriage and would know the rumors did not actually hold water. My assumption is that Finduilas was so wrapped up in her relationship with Denethor that she was not fully aware of what was transpiring around her and therefore took no stand.

So I wouldn't worry about the minor hesitations of others, and don't think changes are required. I think your character is positioned exactly where she should be for Act III.

Secondly, what is most important now is having you and Arien get together and craft a believable falling out between the two sisters. Whatever you call it--a humiliation, an argument or whatever, it would logically be placed in Act III, since this is normally when the first chink in the armor appears for a character who will eventually meet her/his downfall in a five-act play. This falling out, however it's defined, should give Alethea some reason to feel she needs to look outside her own family to find friendship and support.

If you want to have this falling out happen in some secluded niche off the main ballroom so that fewer people outside the main family witness it, that would probably be alright(although you'll undoubtedly want at least one outside witness even if that is a chance passerby who hears more than she's intended to hear). The most important thing at this point is the change in relations between the two sisters, the one factor that Dryea and Reuil fail to weigh into the equation. The actual exposure of Dryea as a spy and fraud before the entire court can wait till later, after Alethea makes her moves.

It is Alethea who is the fulcrum in this situation; her actions lead to Dryea's downfall.

Cami

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]