View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #36
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I have other questions similar to the one Esty raised. These affect the story as a whole: what Wyrma does and doesn't know about the rebels, and what the rebels know about her...

1. Do most SCs, or at least most rebels, already know that Wyrma is a counselor at the house of Falsamir, or is that a recent development? Will Ráma be unpleasantly surprised to make that discovery? (That element of surprise might be nice.) Perhaps that is why her cousin in the palace hasn't been in touch with her?...too dangerous now that Wyrma is there.

2. Does Wyrma recognize Ráma as the daughter of the Eagle's chief? Would she know the identity of Ráma's cousin whom I mentioned in my first post as working at the palace in order to gather information? I hope not, or Ráma may have to spend the reception hiding behind a curtain!

If she truly recognized either of these rebels, wouldn't she attempt to eliminate them in a dark hallway somewhere?

3. In general, are Wyrma's opponents from the Eagle clan known to her by face, or are the rebels simply other faces in the crowd she can't identify, perhaps perceived as simply members of the race of Men, or, in a few cases, as generic SCs. If the latter is true, then keeping their identity secret from the Wyrm would have to be an important theme for the rebels. Ráma would not wear her clan totem openly, since Wyrma would understand its significance.

I don't have a sense of how big the "nation" of SCs is and who knows whom by face. It is true that Ráma is the daughter of a clan leader, but this is an age before television and photographs. Perhaps we can assume that only the actual clan leaders would be known to Wyrma by sight?

4. I am making the assumption that Wyrma does not know where the present encampment of the rebels is located. She has perhaps uncovered it in the past and, whenever that happens, my clan and the other rebel sympathizers quickly turned tail and migrated somewhere else. We have not confronted Wyrma's folk in any kind of battle.

Perhaps the coming of the "strangers" and the questions they raise will eventually get us thinking and making a decision to stand our ground or strike back in some guise.

Is this similar to what others are thinking?