View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #226
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
Then let me once more attempt to re-simplify the matter. The idea of Men growing slower than Elves is not just found in Laws and Customs.

The Children of Hurin, which is actually published as a complete story and edited to fit also has this notion.

Sador may be wrong, but his information is supported elsewhere.

'for in their first youth the Children of Men and Elves seem close akin. But the children of Men grow more swiftly and their youth passes soon; such is our fate.'

Ultimately as you yourself have done prior, I give precedent to actually published stories over notes, unless there is a clear mistake which Christopher Tolkien later clears up.

I don't have the Vinyar Tengwar and know the full context of that quote.

We do have the essay in Morgoth's ring which is Tolkien's most extensive work on the subject and it is corroborated by Sador's words.

As for the 3,000 years that seems to have been a disregarded idea, because considering the time frame we have, then the fourth generation descendants of Finwe like Idril would not be born before the rebellion.

I will look up things and write more in depth later.
Cellurdur, Galin's materials quote and cite competing materials about the subject of aging. Yours resume a focus on Morgoth's Ring. You can't esteem or weight those as the primordial uber-duber est-est, best-est, ungoliantified beauty means that Morgoth's unlighted web was what he married Manwe, which made Varda look blue, not green (because Valar don't get jealous, but bothered) and so the Silmaril ate him, therefore, Elven children age like Shelob.

You're going to have to quote competing citations. That, as I read this, at this point, is your recourse for re-validating your argument, by quoting the competing ages of the various citations, and then see what various editors, (e.g. chris, daddy's son) have to say about what this means, and about what it means when the Silmaril eating Morgoth, when Galadriel and Feanor were unfriends forever.

At this point, I'm leaning with Galin's and Morthoron's interpretations as the most influential/authoritative on the point of the rate of aging elves. Galin is extremely thorough in how he accesses and comments on matters. There's a great deal of work in the effort to quote the actual prose from competing texts. There are actual quotations, which is a lot of extra work. Sometimes, shifting in a personal opinion means having to surrender to a point, with generosity, at those times it's time to enjoy a refresher course on a matter. It's not personal.

So, whilst you're saying unlight eats Valinor's return from Mandos's undecree of Fea-galadriel's friend-unfriending, to the extent I buy your argument, Morgoth's Ring has something to say about this. But, as Galin points out, popularity of an opinion sometimes does not guarantee authenticity of an opinion.

Last edited by Ivriniel; 03-25-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote