Thread: Of Men
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 01:07 AM   #21
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Well. I'm sorry I can't now put my text in english. I have no the sources here. But with a heading as that of the Second Prophecy of Mandos such as: A story among the men told... that, in my opinion, is valid because of the Mannish tradition stated by Tolkien we all know, it could be inserted an edited (reduced) extract of the Gilfanon text mentioned the discovering of the sleeping bodies by Nuin but not mention of the awakening nor mention of names.

This is my text translated by google, sorry sorry if it is of some help:

A story among men told that there was an Avari Elf named Nuin, who was very wise and liked to travel long spaces. And once he went far to the east of Endor, and few of his people accompanied him, and strange tales were told about them; but advancing very far, he arrived at a strange and wonderful place; he had never seen anything like it. A wall like a mountain rose before him, and for a long time he looked for a way to overcome it, until he came across a passage, and it was very dark and narrow; It entered the great cliff and snaked its way down through it. He then gained courage and followed this narrow path until suddenly the walls lowered on one side and the other, and he saw that he had found the entrance to a great space enclosed in a ring of uninterrupted mountains whose extent he could not determine in the gloom. .

Suddenly the sweet smells of the Earth rushed around him; There were no more adorable fragrances, and he stayed drinking the perfumes with deep delight, and among the fragrance of the nocturnal flowers came the deep odors that the pine forests release into the midnight air, and Nuin almost fainted before the charm of that dream place.

He then descended deeper into the valley, treading lightly, overcome by an amazement he had not known before, and behold, under the trees he saw the warm twilight populated with sleeping forms, some linked in pairs, and others sweetly asleep alone, and Nuin stopped and marveled, barely breathing. Then he turned and stole out of that hallowed place, and returning again through the passage through the mountain, he hurried to his land, and told what he had seen. "And it seemed to me," he said, "that all those who slept were like little children."

Then they were afraid of Ilúvatar the Lord of All; but nevertheless Nuin went there often, and he watched them sitting on a rock. On one occasion he tripped over one of the sleepers, who stirred but did not wake up. And then came the First Dawn.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote