View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting A Disturbing Development

I have come upon a website angrily pointed out to me by a longtime friend and fellow Tolkienite. It is a White Pride website, primarily concerned with the promotion of an Aryan purist agenda and the shouting of gross racial stereotypes in large bold fonts. I would not have given it a second thought had I not come across a forum dedicated to the works of Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, titled Lord of the Rings: Racial Archetypes in Tolkien's Epic Story. I instantly clicked on it, and found myself immersed in what seemed to be pretty tame (though for the most part grossly uninformed) debate about the works of JRR Tolkien. However, there are many ridiculous threads, in which members with Nazi Swastika avatars debate whether the Rings of Power and Sauron were intentional metaphors for Jewish extremists bent on world domination, or whether they just ended up being really similar. I registered at the site and attempted to write a few long, angry attacks on the ignorance of some of the posters, but strangely I never saw any of my posts show up. The only logical explanation I can think of is that the moderators scan through the posts for any anti-White Pride sentiment, but that may just be paranoia on my part. Still, take a look at the site and tell me what you think. I have not given it a thorough read so I do not know the extent of the topics.

Stormfront White Nationalist Community- Lord of the Rings Forum

Skimming through Stormfront made me truly grateful for the quality of debate on this fine website, the Barrow Downs. I would like to thank each and every member (and especially the fine team of moderators and those members who I have come to know more closely through private messaging) for making this site the great Middle Earth forum that it is. I find it a grave injustice to Professor Tolkien that things of such a racist nature would be posted on a forum dedicated to his works, and indeed I find it insulting that a neo-Nazi website would even include an individual forum for Lord of the Rings discussion.

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]