Thread: Lazy Nazgul
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #41
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I will be happy to start such a thread, based on LOTR, HOME 6-8, UT and the Reader Companion info. But will it be interesting for the people around here? I know nobody here yet.
Also, my preliminary estimate is that it will give us too little... except of course on Khamul and the WK, and that it will entail some conjecture as well.
Well, but maybe we could track some Nazgul's identity, like "Nazgul #4 was the one who did this and this and this" and connect several events that concerned them... at least somehow... I'd say it's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
They were probably some of the lesser nazgul: in early March 3019 both the WK and Khamul were probably quite busy preparing their respective fortresses for the coming war. I think Khamul did return to Dol Guldur and led the abortive attack on Lorien on March 15.
Did he? It is true he was the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur, but what about all the Nazgul flying around Pelennor and such? He definitely must have left Dol Guldur at least on some call before the Battle of Morannon. But wasn't he flying somewhere around above Pelennor even earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
As for flying - it is interesting to note that the nazgul only got their Fell Beasts two months ago at best - maybe even more recently:

It was no doubt at the end of 1418 that Sauron (S. likely aided by Angmar) bethought him of the winged mounts; and yet withheld them, until things became almost desperate and he was forced to launch his war in haste.-Marquette MSS 4/2/36 (The Hunt for the Ring) p.263

Maybe they were training over Dead Marches? Perhaps they were too intent on just staying in the saddle to look around much?
Yes, that's more or less what I meant Though it may seem funny, surely it ain't that easy, even for a Nazgul, to fly on the back of a Fell Beast.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote