View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 AM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think Viggo plays the dirty, scummy traveller Strider 100% perfect. I don't think he has the strong, confident Aragorn, Elessar of the House of Isildur blah blah blah at all, though. Mainly due to the script for Aragorn, which still has him as an unconfident, unimportant chump. With a grubby beard. Come on, the man has like a 6000 year old sword, one of the three hottest elves to ever walk the earth for a girlfriend, and he's the heir to two kingdoms! Surely he should be a little happier! What happened to "Will you aid me or thwart me, choose swiftly!"<P>The 'Aragorn is lost thing' could've been used as Gandalf's fall was, as a rebirth and honing of the character. To a small extent it was. I love the shot of him opening up the doors into the Hornburg. After he comes back we see the legendary fighter come out of him, when he and Gimli take on crazy amounts of Orcs. But maybe if the Elves hadn't been there he could have helped command the Rohirrim, and showed some leadership that way. I didn't think about the horse that kissed him being Roheryn, I just assumed it was Hasufel from Rohan. Interesting if it is Roheryn - means there'll probably be no Halbarad, or big banner, or ship to put the big banner on, or legions of dead men to attack the ships! Now you've got me worried.<P>Aragorn should be awesome in the third movie, though. I was fortunate enough to be an extra for 3 days, and we got to hear him filming a very stirring speech. They did it over and over, so by the time they finished I had it memorised, and ended up saying it around the flat for days after. It's good!<P>Viggo good, movie-Aragorn bad.