View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #14
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I always was of the belief that, since hobbits are so reminiscent of young people and they seem to reach greater ages, they probably seemed a lot like teenagers while they were in their twenties. Somewhere I read (I believe it may have simply been somewhere in FotR) that hobbit coming-of-age is 33 or 35. Now this is fine, but you have to believe that a normal human in terms of age would become almost fully mature at around 25-28, possibly sooner. Yes, Frodo and Bilbo were fifty, but this may not mean that they looked, felt, or acted like they were fifty.

Now, Tolkein could've made the age of the two hobbits' adventures 35 or 40, to make them seem and physically be younger, but I think they both needed a certain amount of experience to even handle going on quests like the ones they pursued. I don't believe a tweenage or teenage hobbit would've volunteered himself to take the One Ring to Mount Doom.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote