View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 11:29 PM   #11
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think it has not only to do with their lack of desire for world domination, but also within their everyday lives. Hobbits are very pure and lead simple lives for the most part. (Although there are some bad apples, but that does not make the whole tree rotten) This purity and simplicity I think helps them see right and wrong a lot clearer, so what say an Elf may question as to if it's better to do one thing, a hobbit won't think twice about it because it's just not right. I do not mean by any means that they do not think deeply, quite the contrary. I just feel they don't normally think themselves in circles on the most important matters because their hearts are so pure and true and untroubled by other cares elves and men might have.

Also, as Tolkien points out several times in the story...this task was appointed to Frodo, he did not want it. I think when that happens a person's true character comes out. Since Frodo is pure of heart and spirit, he sacrifices his...quality of life, to save the land and people he holds dear. Once he accepted, although there were many times he would have prefered to give the burden of the ring up, I do not think it was ever really a question of what he felt he needed to do. We didn't get to see this so much with Bilbo because although he kept the ring, he did not bear it into Mordor or try to destory it.

This also brings up an interesting thing about Gollum. He is the flip side of personality. The power of the ring brought out all the anger and hatred that he had held inside for years. He took it out on those he may but when he sees Frodo and Sam sleeping, he realizes what he has lost...that piece of humanity comes back for a brief moment and he wants to be a part of it, but then Sam wakes and he becomes more resolute in killing them. Again, the anger is what is brought out under the stress of the ring.

As for Pippin being drawn to the palantiri (excuse spelling, I don't have the book with me) I don't think that's the same thing. Pippin is always curious about everything...thus the number of times he's called "fool" by gandalf. The power of Sauron calling from that orb I think would affect someone differently than carrying the ring when you're resolute to destroy it. I think the question may have been much different if a different hobbit was in Frodo's place. Hobbits I think have some resilience beyond what other races have simply because they have been sheltered for so long and thus, again, the purity is still true.

Just my opinion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I just think it's more of an issue of the true personality underneath comming out under the stress and trauma of carrying the ring.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote