View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #39
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not sure how far we can get in the discussion. As I understand it it is a second- rather than a third-hand account, given in a letter by Michael to the Rev'd. It is quite likely a dream in origin. Family reminiscences can never really be proven. Tolkien did tend to draw from his experiences, whether of dream (the Atlantis dream) or reality, & use them as raw material for his creative pursuits. As I said, it is an odd thing to make up - especially as he was not speaking to an interviewer, or a stranger, but writing to a friend.

Certainly there are many things we will never know about Tolkien's wartime experiences. It may even be the case that Tolkien himself confused a nightmare with reality & himself believed it really happened & told Michael so.

Whatever, its an interesting piece of Tolkieniana at the least. I accept it as coming from Michael, as the Rev'd has a reputation to uphold & has no reason to invent it. Maybe when (if?) the diaries are published we will get more information on what actually happened.

If the letter from Michael states clearly that it actually happened & gives more background we will be able to re-assess at that time. Till then, in the words of the reporter in The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, 'When the Legend becomes fact, print the Legend'??
davem is offline   Reply With Quote