Thread: RPG RESOURCES
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 10:47 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Cordial Greetings Manelwen,

I apologize if the thread title caused you any discomfort. I was looking around for some kind of way to describe what Gandalf the Grey has now so well characterized as "interactive fan-fictionish RPGs". I took the word "substantial" from the Barrow Wight's post on the other thread and, well, it sounds better coming from him. Maybe I should edit the thread title? Your contribution on vocabulary from archery is great; I learnt alot from it myself. Thanks for posting, and please keep contributing!

Birdie, thanks for recognizing my intention to be helpful! *smiles in appreciation* Are you by any chance a birder? If so, it appears that you share two interests with Gandalf--birding and re-enacting. Interesting....

Thank you for your kind words, Barrow Wight.

Gandalf the Grey, from "The truth is out there" to ... "The truth is out there". *half-smiles conspiratorially* Do you think orcs qualify as 'bumpynecks'? I just might borrow your term to revise this thread title!

Lugburz: *waves a big hello and dances a merry little jig* Thank you for those links, Tower of Adamant. I used a similar link for an infamous 'badger' episode here. *grins* The more, the more helpful here.

Cimmerian, what was it Gandalf said to Frodo about making the best use of one's time? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Actually, no one is forcing you to use these links in your freeform RPGs (although you should look back at the Barrow Wight's post here), so what's your point if others choose to?

As for dedicating oneself to Tolkien-inspired writing, it is a hoary old chestnut to think that such discipline stifles creativity. Just look at how Tolkien himself was inspired by the Norse and Celtic myths. Writing interactive, fan fictionish RPGs is simply an extension of reading Tolkien and is every bit as aware and creative and stimulating as discussion of Tolkien. If you want to settle for chat instead of discussion, well, that's your kettle of fish, but I wouldn't necessarily call it creativity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good night, all,
Bethberry