View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
an essay written circa 1970 and now in the Bodleian Library (Tolkien Papers A61 a, fol. 1-31). Mr. Rateliff quotes a description of Gandalf from this essay (which includes 'Which should make him a short man even in modern England, especially with the reduction of a bent back' for example), noting also that it was written in response to Pauline Baynes' art for the poster-map of Middle-earth -- which included the Fellowship and Bill, and certain evil types too.
I want to read that essay! I've got membership of the British Library but not the Bodleian...curses.
Anyway, as far as the films were concerned, eye colour didn't worry me too much but Frodo should have looked both older and more English. Elijah looked very American as well as of course being much too young, as everyone has said. Merry was wrong too but I can't put my finger on how...I think it was more the acting. Boromir I always saw as a hearty, bluff, soldier type with a big barrel chest. Got a shock with Sean Bean's tortured intellectual.
Best/most accurate visualisations for me were Gandalf and Eomer.