Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Númenor
The fact is though that Eru is a character in Tolkien's cosmology but is entirely non-existent in The Lord of the Rings. One cannot attempt an analysis of the Lord of the Rings if one assumes that there is Godhead somewhere in its pages. The Valar are mentioned; Gandalf's divinity is hidden - what Gandalf does is what needs to be done - which means he is wrathful and joyous, "quick to anger and to mirth" - as long as he gets done what needs to be done - he is the Magical (not the Divine) Essense of Good in the Lord of the Rings.

Smeagol falling was not deus ex machina

Frodo failing was not deus ex machina

So what was the outcome of the Lord of the Rings?

The Philosopher's Stone.
Yes, I agree the outcome of the story is golden, but this isn't The Alchemist. Although not apparent, there is no denying that other powers are at work in The Lord of the Rings that imply fate and a higher being. Just because Eru isn't mentioned within the story doesn't mean it is to be completely neglected, for Middle-earth in itself has to deal with Eru.

And to many, Gandalf was the magical and the divine. Heavenly figures have been wrathful too, you know. There's been many discussions which point to Frodo failing as being as fated by Eru, and just as though this can't be proven, just as though you can't say for a fact that it wasn't fate, or intervention of a higher being. By the way, I don't understand what "not deus ex machina" means, but I'm guessing it means "wasn't planned by a God", or something along those lines.