View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #342
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Toby, a little taken aback by Snaveling’s outburst, ran along behind him as he headed towards one of the cooking fires that had been set up. The man in front of him stormed forward angrily and the slower hobbit had to pick up his pace to catch him. For a moment more, they walked side by until they both stopped in front of the crackling open air fire and sat down promptly.

‘Serves her right,’ he thought scornfully, ‘Trying to push other folk around just because she thinks they’ve done something wrong.’ Toby knew perfectly well that Snaveling had done something wrong, but that didn’t ease his feelings towards Roa and Galadel. He didn’t like anyone who pried so much into the affairs of others, no matter how illicit those affairs might be. Toby snorted, gazing at the flames, and glanced out of the corners of his keen dark eyes at Snaveling.

“So…” Toby tried to begin a conversation, even though Snaveling didn’t look entirely interested, “I’ve been wondering,” Toby frantically searched the corners of mind to figure what he had been wondering, “What is a man such as yourself doing here in the Shire? I know it’s a rather blunt query, but I’ve really been dying to know. You see, ever since the war, non-hobbit folk have been coming to the Shire by the bucketload, and, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why. There weren’t half as many big folk around her before that business in the south. Is there some special reason that you would be willing to divulge…or is it some private matter?”

Toby felt like slapping himself. ‘Now that sounded stupid. I must remember to always know what I’m going to say before I say it or I’ll look like even more of a fool. But, I suppose, what’s done is done. Can’t take it back now.’ The hobbit turned slightly towards Snaveling, expecting either a response or a swift punch to the face for doing exactly what he’d just been complaining about. He decided that it would be best to simply wait for whatever Snaveling’s answer to his query would be. Perhaps he could learn something, either about big folk or about what not to say when trying to make petty conversation.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies