View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #90
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I would suggest that "corporeal" races should not count, although I'm sure a point of contention could be made of it.

My reasoning is encountering a dwarf, or even a hobbit, in Middle earth is not a particularly magical experience. Elves might be a different category. However, if races are counted then obviously Tolkien created a more magical world.

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of "magical" phenomena like Galadriel's Mirror or the shadow babies.

As far as dragons go, Martin has more of them appear by name in his stories (if you count things like The Princess and the Queen. Of course, Martin's don't speak but they are clearly connected with magic in his world.
It's got me wondering now if Targaryens are in some way equivalent to Elves. They have peculiar, exotic histories, come from an almost mythic realm (Valyria), seem to have particular power over dragons (debatable) and have those strange looks. They're clearly drawn as somewhat superior and 'other' to the peoples of Westeros and Essos.

Even without looking, I can think of more 'magic' in ASoIaF - Bran's 'third eye'; wargs; Beric Dondarrion's lives; wildfyre; the Undying of Qarth; and Maggy the Frog all spring to mind. Whereas 'magic' in Tolkien's work is more about crafted items, or powers that the Ainur have.