View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #151
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
As to language.

The Hobbits spoke nothing but Common Tongue.

The Eorlings spoke Common Tongue to everyone not from the Mark.

Same for Elves. Same for Gondorians. Same for Dwarves.

So it seems like everyone new Common Tongue. I suppose that's why it's called "common."
But not necessarily all of them. Hobbits and some men speak it because it has replaced their own tongue, Dwarves won't share theirs. The Rohirrim presumably spoke their own tongue among themselves but I can't imagine that all were universally fluent in westron especially in remoter areas - how often would they encounter other folk? They were pretty suspicious of Aragorn and co when they turned up though I expect there was more toing and froing in peacetime.
Westron wasn't universal even among the elves with their facility for languages and all the time at their disposal. Haldir was definitely rusty and his brothers didn't speak it hardly at all....

Anyway I have finally reconstructed my post... it Is a bit of a tome but I doubt he will usually be anything like as verbose.. so will go and hook in somehow... oh I don't believe it it has swallowed my edits and I know I saved them... I may bave to go and cry..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-06-2015 at 02:12 PM.